WESTMONT –State Representative Patti Bellock (R-Hinsdale) has announced her district office as a drop-off location for local residents who wish to donate items for the men and women of the U.S. military serving at home and abroad this holiday season. Items can be donated during normal business hours Monday-Friday between 9:00am – 5:00pm at the Westmont Centre, 1 S. Cass Ave. in Westmont. The donation box is located in front of Rep. Bellock’s office, Suite 205.
Interested residents are welcome to either stop by or call ahead to schedule a donation time at (630) 852-8633. The last day donated items will be accepted is Thursday, December 1.
“I am pleased to partner with the USO again this year to collect items for our brave service members across all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces,” Representative Bellock said. “These men and women are away from their families and loved ones over the holidays. The generous donations of individuals within our community can help make sure our active duty military personnel know how much they are thought of and appreciated here at home.”
The list of items the USO recommends for donation include:
– Children’s Toys and Games (all ages), Assorted Sports Balls and Accessories, Books, Coloring Books, Crayons, Art & Craft Supplies, iTunes Gift Cards, Headphones, etc.
– Prepaid Debit Cards or Gift Cards (any denominations) for individual military families in need to larger chains (e.g., Walmart, Target, etc.) are best and offer the most flexibility for families.
• Recommended items to donate:
– Food: Beef Jerky, Slim Jims, Ramen Noodles/Cup of Noodles, Powdered Drink Mix, Seasoning Salt, Coffee (Instant, Ground & K-Cups), Granola Bars/Protein Bars, Trail Mix/Raisins, Dry Snacks, Mixed Nuts/Peanuts/Pringles, Fruit Cups, Chewing Gum/Hard Candy
– Entertainment: Books, Magazines, Crossword Puzzles, iTunes Gift Cards, Headphones/Ear Buds, DVDs (Movies & TV Series), Video Games
– Hygiene Items (smaller, travel size works best): Baby Wipes, Deodorant, Kleenex, Lotion, Toothpaste/Toothbrush, Shampoo, Soap, Female Hygiene Items
– Miscellaneous Items: 3 in 1 Detergent/Fabric Softener/Dryer Sheet, Air Fresheners
• Please do NOT donate the following:
– Aerosol-type containers
– Anything that will melt or spoil – shipping can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks
– Pornography, alcohol, tobacco
– Anything fragile or irreplaceable – things break and/or packages are lost or stolen
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the USO. To learn more about the USO and its mission, please visit www.uso.org. For questions or more information about the donation drive, please call Representative Bellock’s office at (630) 852-8633.